The Charles Koch Foundation invites recent Ph.D.s and doctoral candidates with an expected graduation date of spring 2017 to apply for postdoctoral fellowships. Through these fellowships, we seek to support individuals who are dedicated to pursuing a career in academia and exploring the ideas of free societies and well-being through their research.
Levels of funding vary depending on the location of the fellowship. Opportunities for postdoctoral support include:
- For those who are interested in conducting research in a traditional university setting.
- In advance of a fellowship, candidates must make a tentative arrangement to be hosted at the university with access to a faculty mentor.
- Grants are awarded for a two-year term contingent upon career development.
Research Center Fellowships
- For those who wish to conduct research at a paper collection, library, archives, or other research center.
- In advance of a fellowship, candidates must make a tentative arrangement with the research center. Depending on the arrangement, this may not require permanent relocation to the research center. Candidates must also arrange for a faculty mentor to review their research plans and provide feedback throughout the year.
Eligibility for the Postdoctoral Fellowships will be reserved for candidates with a:
- Superior academic record.
- Superior record of publication and commitment to the study of freedom and well-being.
- Commitment to a career in academia.
- Doctorate awarded in 2016 or spring 2017 in history, political science, philosophy, or psychology.
Candidates must complete an online application and provide the following documents:
- Writing sample (up to 15 pages).
- Description of your research and how it is related to the study of freedom and well-being.
- Description of your tentative hosting arrangement, including information about your proposed faculty mentor.
- Brief statement of your short- and long-term career goals.
- Unofficial graduate school transcripts.
Role of Host Institution
- Candidates whose applications are supported by the Charles Koch Foundation must be formally selected by their host institution as a postdoctoral fellow.
- The host institution must submit a letter requesting a grant from the Charles Koch Foundation to support the postdoctoral fellowship, the recipient of which is to be selected by the institution.
Stipends and Benefits
- Competitive two-year stipend awarded to the host institution.
- Possible enrollment in the host institution’s health insurance (at the host institution’s discretion).
- Additional funds may be awarded to host institutions for fellows to attend academic conferences.
Please direct any questions to GrantInfo@charleskochfoundation.org.